Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Slow, But Steady Work

     It's time for an update on my classroom-in-progress. . .

     I have to wait until Tuesday, when I'm back on contract, to laminate all my signs and labels, so I've only been able to work on some of the "background" of my room.  

     I used disposable hospital trays on my chairs.  They are really easy to drill through and attach to the "X" on the bottom of each chair with zip ties, and best of all, they were FREE!  Many hospitals would probably be willing to donate 25 or 30 trays for your class. . .all you have to do is call and ask!  Everyone at my old school used these trays in different ways, but I like to use them for unfinished work or for gluey things that need time to dry.  They are also where my munchkins put their snacks and water bottles in the mornings when they unpack.  The snacks stay handy so there's no getting up in the middle of math to get them, and the water bottles aren't taking up valuable desk space and sweating all over student work {they're also not rolling all over the floor}. 

     I've added cream colored flat sheets {super cheap-from Wal Mart!} and border to my bulletin boards.  I also put border on one of my dry erase boards.  I decided to go with some flat, wide border that is black with dark gray stripes on one side and dark gray dots on the other.  I like the way it mirrors the look of my ActivBoard.
 
My ActivBoard in the middle, with my calendar board on the left and my objectives board on the right

Dry erase board behind my reading table

More bulletin board shots

     I have a random long, skinny bulletin board on one of my walls, so I've decided to use it as a "Wonder Wall," where students can put sticky notes with their questions and things that they wonder about.  These notes can be researched and/or discussed as time allows.  I'm hoping it will keep my munchkins interested and engaged in what we're learning in class.  It will also be a great place for students to put their random questions that have nothing to do with what we're studying {you know, the ones they interrupt/disrupt class with. . . the ones that always seem to interrupt a lesson when you're being observed. . .}




I used four different kinds of patterned cardstock to make a colorful background, and hot-glued black grosgrain ribbon to it for a border.  As soon as I can laminate, there will be white letters (backed by black) that say "I Wonder. . ." along the middle of the bulletin board.  {Pay no attention to the sticky note--it's just a reminder to myself of what I'm doing with the board.  I have them stuck all over the room because if I don't write it down, I'll never remember anything!}


I REALLY liked using the ribbon for the border {an idea I found on Pinterest}.  It makes a nice, clean line to frame the board, and it's nice and small.  Regular bulletin board border would take up the whole board.


I'll be back next week with more updates and {hopefully} more signs hung and workstations set up!

**UPDATE**

I got a few questions about my objectives board.  It's an idea I got from Pinterest.  


I used 8.5 x 11 document frames from the dollar store, and inserted the labeled backgrounds.  They're hanging on the board right now with pushpins, but I'll be attaching them more securely with velcro soon {THANK YOU for the idea, Amy!!}.  Leave a comment with your email address and I'll send you the backgrounds.






Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. The library looks great! I can't wait to see the finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tryna! I REALLY cut down on the number of books I put out so it's not so overwhelming for the kids to make a choice. Plus, I want to use a lot of my picture books as read-alouds. It's hard not being able to really hang anything until after I can laminate them next week, so my room looks a lot more unfinished than it is in my head :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Laura! Can't wait to see the updated photos next week! Good luck at your new school...I know you will do great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg! I'm having fun "starting from scratch" in a new classroom, but it's a lot of work {but fun work}.

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura,
    I have used your anchor chart on my blog, www.learningwithdonna.com but would like your permission.
    I have added on how I use the author's purpose to help state the main idea clearly for my students on Individual Education Plans. I have included a link back to your blog. I saw your anchor chart that had been repinned on Pinterest by a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Donna,
    Thanks for linking to my blog! Yes, you have my permission to use my chart. I actually got some of the inspiration for it from a book, so I can't take complete credit. I love the idea of using author's purpose to write the main idea!

    Thanks,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete