Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It's Wednesday... Let's Share a Recipe

     I have to admit, I'm ADDICTED to Pinterest.

     I've gotten so many teaching ideas, I'll never be able to accomplish them all.  So many party themes, I'll have to celebrate every day to use them all.  So many decorating ideas, my house will look like it should be in Southern Living if I try them all.  And I'd be completely broke if I tried them all.

     I have found quite a few recipes that I REALLY want to try, but since I don't have kids to use as guinea pigs, I end up not making new dishes or changing them a lot so that I'm not buried under leftovers of something I don't really like.

     The latest recipe I adapted came from The Enchanted Cook.  The original recipe was called Parmesan Crusted Chicken, and used mayo, italian breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese to season the chicken.  I used pork chops and some additional spices, but the rest of the recipe stayed fairly close.


     I used 4 thin-cut pork chops (not pictured), plain bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, Smart Balance mayo, thyme, onion powder, paprika, marjoram, and garlic powder.  You can use whatever spices you want to change the flavor to your liking, as long as you use the mayo (to keep it moist), and the parmesan and bread crumbs (for the crust).

     
     Mix the mayo and spices together with the parmesan cheese.  No, the end result isn't pretty, but it'll be covered by bread crumbs so don't panic.  I used the "powdery" kind of parmesan, but the shredded kind works well also.




     Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper (I used my little one for the toaster oven) and place pork chops on top.  Then cover the chops generously with your mayo/cheese mixture.


     Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top.  I used a lot, and you can see where my fingers patted the crumbs into the mayo so it wouldn't fall off while being transferred into the oven.

     Bake for about 20 minutes (depending on the thickness of your chops) in a 425 degree oven.  I used my toaster oven so I wouldn't have to heat up my big one, and it worked really well.



     Serve with any green veggie and a side of your choice.  I had broccoli and a baked potato, but these would be yummy with mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans, peas, or asparagus.  It just depends on the season, your imagination, and whatever you're craving!

Recipe:

     Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • 1/2 cup mayo (any kind will work, but for low/no fat, you can use Smart Balance or light   mayo)
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/8 teaspoon thyme
  • 4 pork chops or boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 6 teaspoons bread crumbs (I used more for a thicker top)
     Combine mayo, cheese, and spices in a small bowl.  Lay chops or chicken breasts on a lined baking sheet and top with mayo/cheese/spice mixture.  Sprinkle with bread crumbs.

     Bake for 20 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked and juices run clear.




     The mayo keeps the pork chops moist, and the bread crumbs add a nice crust.  The crust isn't super crispy and it's only on the top, but there is enough flavor to go around.  I LOVE this recipe.  It's fast and easy, and I already had all the ingredients on hand.  It also got rave reviews from Ken when we had the leftover chops the next day. (I popped them into the oven to reheat, and they stayed moist inside, which almost never happens with pork chops.)


     Do you have any tried and true pork chop recipes you love?


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'd have to hide the ingredients from the Mr. so he wouldn't know mayo was involved! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use sour cream or greek yogurt instead (or just say you did...)

      Delete